Cross-border long distance moving - United States (US)/Canada Moving

Cross Border Moving Company To & From US

Westmount Moving provides individuals and businesses with cross border moving solutions. We are highly experienced with long distance moving, and have facilitated many large scale moves across the Canada – USA border. Whether you’re going from Kitchener-Waterloo to Fort Myers, or San Francisco to Kitchener-Waterloo, we provide moving solutions to all destinations across North America.

At Westmount, we work by your side during the entire cross border moving process. We advise you on the rules and regulations regarding your particular move, and provide you with all the resources and information necessary for an easy transition into your new country of residence.

Westmount Moving is a “one stop shop” for all your cross-border long distance moving needs.

US – Canada Moving (Moving to Canada)

When moving to Canada, Westmount Moving will deliver your items to your new home as soon as your goods have cleared customs. Once the truck has reached the border, you will be contacted by the truck or van operator to report to the designated customs office to make your customs declaration. There are various documents that are required in order to clear customs, these often include:

  • Work Visa
  • Passport
  • Photo ID of transporter and spouse
  • Marriage certificate if spouse has a different name
  • Employer’s letter of intent
  • 2 copies of personal inventory listing, including current value in Canadian dollars
  • Copy of Bill of Lading including completed Declaration of Value

Canada – US Moving (Moving to US)

Unlike moving to Canada, your goods can cross the border without you present as the truck or van operator is able to declare your items for you. However, if US customs identifies any issues, your shipment will be placed in bond and held at the customs office until you clear the goods in person. The best course of action that we recommend to all our clients, is to cross the USA border beforehand and clear customs, identifying that your household items are coming after you. This way, any immigration paperwork that needs to be completed will be done so before your goods arrive, and the cross border procedure will go smoothly.

Traditionally, the required documents include:

  • Valid Passport
  • Work or Study Visa and Letter of Offer of Employment
  • Proof of Property Ownership or Lease in the USA (for part time residents)
  • Proof of Canadian residence (for part-time residents)

Call Westmount Moving today for all of your cross border moving needs! 519-895-1100