Cross-border long distance moving - United States (US)/Canada Moving

Moving Personal Belongings to USA from Canada

Packing up, selling your home and moving to the USA from Canada is an exciting experience. It marks a new chapter of life, and a new beginning in a different country with all new experiences to be had. Each and every year, countless individuals and their families make this move across the Canada-US border, many of whom make the transitions fairly easily and stress free, while others simply were not well prepared!

Whether you’re moving to the United States for your career, or simply moving to be closer to distant friends and family, there are a number of forms and processes that need to be completed before crossing the border and moving into the USA.

For these types of cross-border moves, we suggest you hire a reputable moving company to help facilitate the move seamlessly. At Westmount Moving, we have facilitated countless moves into the United States and know the cross-border moving process in and out. We help you find and complete all the necessary documents and forms, we assist you in the immigration/ Visa process and make sure you get to your new home in the United States without a hitch.

What you Need to Enter the USA

  • A Valid Canadian Passport
  • Approved work/immigration Visa allowing you to reside in the United States
  • A completed 3299 form – a blank form and more information can be found here
    • A full truck inventory list must be provided to the CBP officer as well
  • Copy of I94 form – US customs official provides you this document when crossing the border
  • A completed HS7 form for every vehicle you import into the USA
    • a FAQ guide and blank form can be found here

**Additional forms and paperwork may need to be filed depending on each individual. Speak with your moving consultant to make sure you have all the necessary documents ready.

For all who are moving their personal belongings to the USA from Canada, we suggest you arrive to the border before your moving truck and provide all your completed paperwork and immigration information to border security beforehand. By doing so, all necessary paperwork can be processed ahead of time and a simple inspection will take place once the truck arrives.

Duty Fees

There are often US Duty Fees that apply to certain items crossing into the United States. Your household goods and personal items are permitted to enter into the country as long as you have owned these items for at least one year (Proof of ownership may be required for certain items). If you’re purchasing items for your new home in the USA before you move, consider the fact that you may be required to pay duty on any of these items at the border crossing. Any large purchases such as appliances and household furniture will be subject to duty fees if purchased in Canada and imported into the United States.

For those who are transporting large amounts of antique goods, it’s recommended that you obtain a written appraisal before crossing the border. Any items less than 100 years old can be considered taxable, and is up to the discretion of the border officer whether or not he or she will charge duty on your goods. As well, if you’re transporting a liquor collection across the border, you may be required to pay tax on this alcohol.


  • Any dog 3 months old or younger will need to have documentation proving they have received all rabies vaccinations. They will also require a certificate from a veterinarian that states the animal is in good health
  • Pet birds may be subject to a quarantine period depending on breed

When moving to the United States from Canada, there are a number of variables and unique situations that apply to cross-border moves. It is highly recommended that you entrust a reputable moving company to facilitate this complex move with you. At Westmount Moving, we specialize in international moving and relocation and have been doing so for over 75 years! Contact us today at 519-895-1100 or by email at